How to unfollow inactive users on Instagram
You’re building your Instagram business, have followed and unfollowed users in their thousands. Subsequently, your numbers have grown into their thousands. But there’s a problem: as your account continues to grow, the engagement on your content just doesn’t seem to match the numbers.
It turns out you’re following a bunch of users who, despite the fact that they followed you back, they aren’t in the least interested in your content and therefore won’t like or comment on them.
What to do?
It only makes sense to unfollow these users to make room for others because as you probably know engagement is key to your success on Instagram.
So how do you get rid of users who aren’t interacting with your content?
As far as I know, unless you’re following about 10 users only, it would be a daunting task to even attempt to unfollow ghost users manually. That’s where apps/software come in.
Apps that can help unfollow inactive/ghost followers on Instagram
I’d like to show you a trick you can use to unfollow ghost users using Massplanner (just get the trial version if you don’t have this tool, you’ll be awe-struck at how much more it can do). It might seem a little complicated at first glance but I assure you it’s not and even if you get stuck somewhere you can always leave me a comment down in the comments section or send me an email.
How to find inactive users you’re following on Instagram
- Click on the tools tab on the left of your screen as illustrated below
Please don’t be distracted by the number of accounts I have running on Massplanner.
- Now for the account that you want to remove ghost followers from, click on ‘Details >>‘ (there’s four of them in the row so just pick any one of them). When it opens, click on the ‘Contact‘ tab and then ‘EXTRACT USERS‘. Here you will paste these 2 lines:
Your account’s username goes where it says YourUsername.
- Where it says ‘Extract __ users for each line added above‘ you’re going to put the number of followers you have.
- Now click on EXTRACT USERS.
Allow some time for the extraction process to complete. How long this will last will largely depend on the number of followers you have.
- When it’s finished, click on the ‘Use Users’ tab. Now SELECT ALL and then EXPORT SELECTED as shown in the image below.
An Excel Sheet will open and on the 1st column will be the usernames of all users that interact with your posts. Copy them all and go to the ‘Unfollow‘ tab, scroll down and check Use Whitelist. Paste all users and click on ADD USERNAMES.
Allow it to finish the process.
- Check ‘Unfollow all users‘ and ‘Also target users followed outside of Mass Planner‘ and then click on START UNFOLLOW.
With that, Massplanner will unfollow all users and leave only those that interact with your content. This should help improve engagement on your posts.
Recommended reading: GRAMOUS (use coupon: ‘GRAMHACKS‘ to get 20.6% OFF.
Until next time!