Chances are you want to know how to delete Google Voice number on Android. If that is the case, you have come to the right place.
The ‘Google Voice’ service has been in the game for more than 12 years. Since its inception, millions of people have opted to use this telephone service from Google. This smart voice calling service is available for both personal and business usage. Depending on the package you are using, the cost will vary.
Now, after using the Voice service from Google, you might not need it anymore. And you want to delete your Google Voice number. As you are using it on your Android device, you want to learn how to delete the Voice number on Android.
No problem at all. We are here to help you tackle this problem. In this post, we will show you how to do that and more.
So, let’s cut to the chase…
Tutorial on How to Delete Google Voice Number on Android
How to Delete Your Google Voice Number
Deleting your Google Voice number is very easy. However, you have to remember a few things before you are deleting the number. So we will talk about those in the first place. Let’s go…
Things to Remember
You can’t delete the Voice number if:
- You will not be able to delete the Google Voice number if it is managed by your school or work (Voice for Google Workspace).
- If you have already paid to transfer the number, then you can’t delete it.
- If you are using the Google Voice number with Sprint, then it is not possible to delete it.
About the Messages
- The message received in your inbox will not be deleted even if you delete your Voice number.
After Deleting Your Number
- Once you have deleted your Google Voice number, you will be given a grace period of 90 days. Within that time, you will be able to get back your Voice number if you change your mind. However, after 90 days grace period, that number will not be available for you. It could be assigned to other Google Voice users.
- Within that grace period of 90 days, you will not be able to sign up for another new Google Voice number as well.
Steps to Follow to Delete Google Voice Number
- Open your favorite browser on your android phone and visit https://voice.google.com/.
- You should be logged into your Voice account already.
- Now, tap on the ‘Menu’ icon that will look like 3 horizontal lines from the top left corner of the screen.
- Next, you have to tap on the ‘Settings’ icon (that will look like a gear icon).
- At this point, you will have to turn off the voicemail for each of the Google Voice numbers you will delete.
- So, locate the number you want to delete and tap on the ‘Voicemail’ option next to that particular number.
- Now, you will have to disable the option ‘Get voicemail via email/message’ for this number.
- Right now, you have to navigate to the ‘Account’ option.
- Then, tap on the ‘Delete’ option from under/next to the Google Voice number you want to delete.
- In doing so, a new window will open.
- You will have to tap on the ‘Delete’ button next to the phone number once again from that page.
- As a result, a warning will appear on the screen on a popup window.
- So tap on the ‘Proceed’ button and wait a bit until the number is deleted.
Congratulations! If you have followed the steps above, you have deleted your Google Voice number successfully.
How to Get Your Google Voice Number Back?
What if you have changed your mind and want your Google Voice number back? Lucky for you, Google offers 90 days grace period during which you can reclaim your number back. It is effortless to reclaim your Voice number. Let’s see how to do it…
Steps to Follow
- Go to https://voice.google.com/ from your favorite browser.
- Then, tap/click on the ‘Menu button’ (the icon will look like 3 horizontal lines).
- From there, tap on the ‘Legacy Google Voice’ option.
- Now, tap on the ‘Get your old number back’ option.
- At this point, you will have to add a linked number, and you will be able to get back your Voice number by doing that.
How to Change Your Google Voice Number
Did you know that you could change your Google Voice number? So, if you already have a Voice number and want to change your existing number, you can follow the steps below.
Before We Begin
We should disclose a few things before we are going to explain the process of changing your Google Voice number. For instance:
- You will have to pay $10 for a new Google Voice number if you want to replace an existing one.
- There is no refund available once you have changed your number.
- You cannot undo this process once you have replaced the number.
- If you would like to use your phone number by replacing the exiting Google Voice number, you will have to port it into Google Voice. But there is a $20 fee for porting your number.
- For the first 90 days after the change, both of your previous and new Google Voice numbers will be visible.
- Any calls to your previous Voice number will be forwarded to the new one for 90 days.
- But after 90 days, you will only get emails about the contacts that used your previous Voice number.
- If you want to keep the old Voice number as a secondary Google Voice number, then you will have to pay $20 (unless you have ported in that old Voice number previously).
- When using a secondary number with the newly changed one, calls and text messages will reach both numbers.
- However, by default, the outbound calls and text messages will be sent from the primary Voice number.
- Still, you can swap the numbers any time you want to.
Now that you know all the necessary information regarding changing Google Voice number. We can proceed to the tutorial. So here we go…
Steps to Follow
- From your computer browser, visit https://voice.google.com/
- Then sign to your Google account if you haven’t already.
- Now, on the Google Voice homepage, click on the ‘Menu’ icon (looks like 3 horizontal lines) from the top left corner of the screen.
- Then click on the ‘Legacy Google Voice’ option, and a new window will appear.
- This page might look different than the usual Google Voice page. No worries, you are at the right place.
- Next, click on the ‘Settings’/‘Gear’ icon from the top right corner of the screen.
- Then, click on the ‘Phones’ option to open this tab.
- Now, click on the ‘Change/Port’ option next to the current number of your Google Voice account.
- At this point, you have to click on the ‘I want a new number’ option.
- Then you need to follow the on-screen instructions to set up a new Voice number.
- You will be prompted to pay for the process.
- After you have paid successfully, you will receive several emails with further instructions and updates from Google.
That is it! You have changed your Voice number to a new one.
Wrapping it up
A Google Voice number can come in handy in many instances. If you want to keep your work calls and personal calls independent of each other, you can get a Google Voice number. However, inevitably, you might not need it anymore. That is when you would opt to delete your Google Voice number.
But many users are not familiar with the method of deleting the Google Voice number. To solve this problem, we have written this post with a guide on how to delete your Google Voice number on Android in a step-by-step manner.
Along with that, we have provided some other very crucial information about Google Voice number. We believe this post was helpful to you.
If so, you can share this with others. And, if you have any more questions or suggestions for us, you can let us know in the comments below!