If you are a Messenger user, you might want to know how to change profile picture on Messenger android. Interestingly, we don’t have a straightforward answer to this question. So, to know more in detail you have to read the rest of the post.
Facebook is the most popular social media site in the world. As a result, their Messenger app is also one of the most used instant messaging apps in the world.
Once upon a time, you had to have a FB or Facebook account in order to be able to use Messenger. However, you can now use Messenger without a Facebook account as well.
Matter of fact, you can even go to Messenger.com and use it directly from your desktop. Yes, no need to have the mobile app for this. Now, typically, you would have a profile picture on Messenger like any other messaging or communication app. And, you might want to change your profile picture on Messenger.
Lucky for you, you can change the profile picture of your Messenger account easily. In fact, we have multiple methods of doing that. And, in this post, we will share everything about changing the profile picture on the Messenger android app.
So, let’s get started…
Tutorial on How to Change Profile Picture on Messenger Android
You can easily change the profile picture on Messenger android. However, there is a caveat here. Let’s talk about this below.
Not Possible from Messenger’s Latest Version
Before 2020, Facebook allowed changing the profile picture on Messenger directly from the Messenger app. However, since 2020, with a new update on the Messenger app, they have removed this feature from the app. This is unfortunate. And, most of the Messenger users haven’t liked it at all.
Still, Facebook didn’t bring this feature yet. Maybe it was permanently removed from the Messenger app. However, don’t worry. Because still there are ways to change the profile picture on Messenger android.
For that, you will have to access your Facebook account. Simply put, changing the profile picture on your Facebook account would also change the profile picture on Messenger android.
So, if you don’t have a Facebook account, then you will have to create one. Or if you have disabled your Facebook account and just using the Messenger app, then you will have to activate your FB account for the time being. Now, let’s learn how to change the profile picture on Messenger and Facebook at once.
Method #1 From Facebook Android App
If you are using Facebook on the Facebook android app, then you are in luck. Because it is very simple to change the profile picture of your Facebook account using the Facebook android app. So, we are assuming that you have an active FB account and you are using the official Facebook Android app. Now, let’s go…
Steps to Follow
- Launch the Facebook android app on your android phone
- Now, navigate to your profile. To do so, you can tap on the ‘Profile Picture’ of yours next to the ‘What’s on your mind’ box. Or you can also tap on the ‘Menu’ icon (3 horizontal bars) from the top right corner of the screen. Then, tap on your Facebook ID name
- Anyway, you should be at your Profile page right now
- So, tap on the current profile picture of you. In doing so, a number of options regarding the profile picture will appear on the screen
- If you want to change the profile picture with a new one from your Gallery, then you have to tap on the ‘Select Profile Picture’ option
- Next, you can choose a new profile picture from your Gallery
- There are other options as well like ‘Add Frame’, ‘Make Avatar Profile Picture’, ‘Select Profile Video’, ‘Turn on Profile Picture Guard’, ‘Add Design’, and more
- After you have chosen your new profile picture, you can also customize it further
- When you are done customizing, you can tap on the ‘Done’ button
- You can also add a caption to the new profile picture and tap on the ‘Save’ button to finalize the changes
This is how you change your profile picture on Facebook using the Facebook Android app. If you have followed the steps above and changed the profile picture of your FB account, now it will also change the profile picture on Messenger. Go and check on Messenger to see the new profile picture.
Method #2 From Facebook.com Using Your PC Browser
Above, we have shown how to change the profile picture on Messenger or Facebook from the official Facebook Android app. In this section, you will learn how to do that from a web browser. So, even if you don’t have the official Facebook app or the Messenger app, you can change the profile picture on Messenger. Let’s see how to do that…
Steps to Follow
- Open your favorite browser on your PC or mobile. Then go to fb.com or facebook.com
- Next, you will have to log in to your Facebook account by entering the login credentials if you haven’t already
- Now, click on your profile name from the top bar
- It will take you to your profile page
- Now, hover the mouse over the current profile picture of you. In doing so, you will see an option ‘Update Profile Picture’ will appear
- You have to click on the ‘Update Profile Picture’ option from under your current profile picture
- In doing so, a new popup window will appear on the screen with a few options and suggested photos for the new profile picture
- Now, click on the ‘Upload Photo’ option if you want to upload a new profile picture
- Or else, you can also scroll down a bit to find all of your previously uploaded photos on Facebook
- Once you have found your preferred photo, you have to click on it to make it your new profile picture
- You can click on the ‘See More’ option that will be on the rights side of each section of pictures in order to access more photos
- After you have uploaded a new profile picture or chosen a new profile picture from previously uploaded photos, you will have to adjust the photo
- In this step, you can drag the photo to adjust the position of the thumbnail accordion to your choice
- You can also crop, edit, or add new effects to the image. In fact, you can also select it as a temporary profile picture on Facebook
- After you are done and satisfied with all the customization, you can click on the ‘Save’ option from the bottom right corner of the window
- In doing so, the new profile picture will be activated
So, if you use Messenger as well as Facebook, the new profile picture will appear on your Messenger as well.
Older Messenger App
It is very possible that you are using one of the latest versions of Messenger right now. However, if you still have access to the older Messenger app, which had the feature of changing profile pictures directly from the Messenger app, then this section is for you. In this part, we will let you know how to change the Messenger profile picture directly from the Messenger app on Android. So, here we go…
Steps to Follow
- First, launch the official Messenger app on your android phone
- Typically, you would be logged in. still, if you are not, then log in to your Messenger account
- Now, tap on the current profile picture that will be at the top-left corner of the screen
- Next, you have to tap on the ‘Edit’ button under the current profile picture
- In doing so, you will notice that a few new options appearing which are ‘Edit Name’, or ‘Edit Profile Photo’
- So, tap on the ‘Edit Profile Photo’ option. Now, you can capture a new photo, or you can select one from your Gallery
- After you have chosen a new profile picture and customizes it, you can tap on the ‘Use Photo’ option to save the new changes
That is it! You have changed the profile picture on Messenger android. However, this particular method mentioned above is not possible in the latest versions of the Messenger app.
If you have any older Messenger version that is from early 2020 or before that, then you can try this method. However, we don’t recommend doing this as we would strongly suggest you use updated apps on your android phone.
Facebook and Messenger have become 2 of the world’s most-used apps in recent days. Billions of people are using these apps every day.
If you are also a Messenger user and want to change the profile picture of your account, then we hope this post was helpful to you. We have tried to share a few easy to follow methods of changing the profile picture on Messenger android.
If you have any questions or suggestions, you can share them with us in the comments below. And, don’t forget to share this post with other Messenger users that don’t know how to change the profile picture on the Messenger android app.