How to unfollow inactive Instagram users in 2018 (Updated!)
A tutorial on how to remove ghost followers on Instagram
You’re building your Instagram business, have followed and unfollowed users in their thousands. Subsequently, your numbers have grown into their thousands.
But there’s a problem: as your account continues to grow, the engagement has stagnated and just doesn’t look good.
It turns out you’re following a bunch of users who, despite the fact that they followed you back, they aren’t in the least interested in your content and therefore won’t like or comment on them.
What to do?
It only makes sense to unfollow these users to make room for others because as you probably know engagement is key to your success on Instagram.
As far as I know, unless you’re following about 10 users only, it would be a daunting task to even attempt to unfollow ghost users manually. That’s where apps/software come in.
Apps that can help unfollow inactive/ghost followers on Instagram
In this tutorial, I’m going to show you how you can use a premium app at absolutely NO COST to you, to put together a list of inactive Instagram users.
The premium app is free to download and use for 5 days (no credit card required) but we need less than a day to have our list of ghost users ready.
PS: If you need help setting up Jarvee, please make use of this gig.
- You can automate all your activities not just on Instagram but on several other platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr, YouTube, LinkedIn and Google Plus.
- It runs on Windows but Mac users, as well as Windows users who want to automate all their activities 24/7 even when they turn off their computer, can use this tutorial on how to set up a free VPS on which to run Jarvee.
You can now go ahead to download and install Jarvee (remember we need it for just 1 day for this tutorial, the free trial will do). Follow that guide on how to set it up and join me back here.
How to find inactive users you’re following on Instagram using Jarvee
An update on unfollowing inactive followers on Instagram (15/10/2018)
An update was made to Jarvee and it’s now become extremely easy to unfollow users that are not interacting with your posts on Instagram.
Once you’ve loaded your Instagram account on Jarvee, you just now need to click on TOOLS, then click on the name of the account (see 2nd image below) and then click on the Unfollow tab.
Here, you’re going to scroll down and check on the options shown in the image below:
Now depending on how often you post on Instagram, you can choose the last number of posts that some of the people you’re following have not interacted with and then scroll back up and start the unfollow tool.
It’s that easy!
End of update.
- Once your account is set up on Jarvee, click on TOOLS, the interface should look like in the image above. Now click on the name of the account (here: Instagram Account 1). Once you do that, you should see: Once you’re here, click on the Contact tab and then EXTRACT USERS. Then move to the next step.
- Paste the following two lines in the form:
Your account’s username goes where it says YourUsername.
- Where it says ‘Extract 82 users for rule added below‘ you’re going to put the number of followers you have. The account I’m using for this tutorial has 82 followers.
- Now click on EXTRACT USERS.
Allow some time for the extraction process to complete. How long this will last will largely depend on the number of followers you have.
- When it’s finished scrapping, click on the ‘Use Extracted Users’ tab. Now SELECT ALL and then EXPORT SELECTED as shown in the image below.
A document that contains a list of users who interacted with your posts will open. Copy all the usernames and go to the ‘Unfollow‘ tab, scroll down and check Use Whitelist. Paste all usernames and click ADD USERNAMES.
Allow it to finish the process.
- Check ‘Unfollow all users followed by Jarvee‘ and ‘Also target users followed from outside Jarvee‘, scroll back up and then click on START UNFOLLOW.
With that, Jarvee will unfollow all ghost users and leave only those that interact with your content. This should help improve engagement on your posts. Also check out this tutorial on how to encourage engagement on your posts using the Like tool on Jarvee.
- Tutorial: Use these Instagram follow settings on Jarvee to yield the best results.
- Tutorial: Jarvee auto-unfollow setting (Social Media Automation)
- How to recover from an Instagram shadowban.
Until next time!